An interactive program and book signing to celebrate the publication of Ed Webster’s landmark new book: Snow in the Kingdom, My Storm Years on Everest
THE SHOW: chronicles the bitter and heroic autobiographical saga of Ed Webster’s five “Storm Years” on and off Mount Everest, and his landmark achievement of being part of the smallest team to climb a major new route up Mount Everest: only 4 climbers, no oxygen, no radios, no Sherpas. Also included in the lecture: the unpublished 1921 and 1924 Everest pictures of British Everest pioneers Noel Odell and George Mallory (whose body was found at 27,000 feet on Everest in 1999) plus the never-before-told story of Tenzing Norgay’s birthplace and childhood in Tibet.
LECTURE TIME: One to One and a half hours, with A Questions & Answer Period.
To book Ed for your next event, click here!
Praise for Snow in the Kingdom:
“Ed Webster’s account of his years on Everest takes us on a vivid personal journey from his revelations about Tenzing Norgay’s childhood to the vertical ice of ‘Webster’s Wall.’ His team’s desperate fight for survival on the Kangshung Face left me breathless.”
– David Breashears, Everest IMAX Film Co-Director & Expedition Leader
If you thought getting to the top of Everest was hard, wait until you read about the troubles Webster and his fellow climbers had getting down.” – USA Today
“The best ascent of Everest in terms and style of pure adventure.”
– Reinhold Messner, The First Climber to Solo Mount Everest
“Amongst the most remarkable examples of survival in the history of Himalayan mountaineering-a great read!”
– Chris Bonington, Three-time Everest Expedition Leader & Summiter
“Placed up against this book, most other [Mt. Everest] stories disappear into, well, thin air.” Jon Popowich, Contr Editor, Gripped Magazine, UK, Spring 2002
“Much more than a climbing book, Snow In The Kingdom is about the making of a man. [Reading] the do-or-die summit push it was impossible to put the book down.” Thom Pollard, EverestNews.com,
- Rock Climbing & Mountaineering Lectures –
- MY STORM YEARS on EVEREST Ed’s Book, Mallory & Tenzing, Everest’s East Face
- THE THREE FACES of EVEREST A New Route up Mt. Everest’s East Face, Tibet
- TO EVEREST – and BACK Ed’s Comeback Year (1993): Everest, Bhutan, Norway, Cholatse
- MYSTERY MOUNTAINS of MONGOLIA Virgin summits and Yeti Tracks !
- MT. KENYA & KILIMANJARO: CLIMBING & WILDLIFE in AFRICA
- The American Alpine Club 1988 Annual Meeting, Atlanta, Georgia
- The American Mountain Center 1995 Benefit, 2001 Mt. Everest lecture, Golden, Colorado.
- The Appalachian Mtn. Club 2001 Annual Dinner speaker, New York City.
- Bowdoin College Brunswick, Maine.
- City Rock Climbing Gym Emeryville, California.
- Chicago Mountaineering Club Annual Dinner speaker, Chicago, Illinois.
- Dartmouth University Hanover, New Hampshire.
- Eastern Mountain Sports (EMS) Many stores in New England & Colorado.
- The Explorers Club 2002 Meeting, New York City.
- Harvard University Cambridge, Massachusetts.
- Int’l. Mtn. Equipment (IME) North Conway, New Hampshire.
- Recreational Equipment (REI) Westminster, Colorado.
- Sunrise Mountaineering Livermore & Walnut Creek, California.
- Taos Mountainfilm Festival 2001 Taos, New Mexico.
- Trinity University Hartford, Connecticut.
- UC Berkeley, Asian Studies Berkeley, California.
- University of Vermont Burlington, Vermont.
- The Buxton Conference Annual Meeting of the British Mountaineering Council.
- Cotswold Climbing Shop London, England.
- Plas Y Brenin Nat’l. Center Capel Curig, North Wales, Great Britain.
- Kolsas KlatreKlub Oslo, Norway.
- Amoco Oil Platform Somewhere out in the middle of the North Sea !
- Stockholm KlatreKlub Stockholm, Sweden.
- Banff Mountain Book Festival 2001 Banff Mountainfilm Festival, Banff, Canada.
- Montagne Avventura 2000 International Mountaineering Conference, Florence, Italy.